There is a famous children’s rhyme- I like to eat eat eat Apple and Bananas…which too agrees to the power of these fruits. Just one each of these fruits can meet over 50% Fibre and Vitamin C requirement for the day, solving for Digestion and Immunity.
Vitamin C is neither produced not stored in the body. Hence it becomes imperative to consume it everyday. It is a powerful antioxidant which protects the body against free radical damage that can lead to serval diseases in the long run. Vitamin C is also important for the formation of collagen protein which is found in skin, bones and teeth. Deficiency in Vitamin C can lead to susceptibility to infections, aging, bleeding gums and slow healing.
Apples should be mashed or steamed or blended for consumption but never juiced. All the fibre of the fruit is strained out when it is juiced. The polyphenols present in the skin of the apple are also separated out while juicing. Polyphenol is an antioxidant which helps to fight diseases. In simple words, it will balance the negative impact of consuming other fast-foods. Several studies reveal the benefits of consuming 400mg of this compound to work its magic on making body healthy and disease free. Hence, always consume an apple with the skin.
Banana and apple are great sources of natural fibre. The moment you remove the skin of the apple, you reduce the fibre by 50%. Kids needs 15-20g of fibre based on their age/ weight. One apple with skin can give roughly 5g of fibre. One banana has 3g of fibre.
- Kids nowadays consume 1/10th fibre of what was consumed centuries ago. Processed, easy-to-gulp food has taken priority. This has resulted in extreme digestion issues.
- Banana is high in fibre and prebiotics, both of which support smooth digestion.
- 1 Apple provides roughly 400mg of Polyphenol, which is enough for the day.
Mostly kids enjoy eating apple and banana for their snack. They are the easiest source of added fibre and Vitamin C along with varied nutrients in daily diet. In addition to fighting infection, Vitamin C also helps in absorbing Iron in the body. Iron is important for high energy levels as it helps in blood production in the body (haemoglobin).
These fruits also help in keeping kids full for a longer duration due to high fibre content. This helps in controlling the prevalent binge eating trend in kids nowadays which causes childhood obesity and other health issues.
Finally, in addition to fibre and vitamin C, apple also has a compound Quercetin which favours Brain health and impacts better memory and cognitive ability in kids.
- 2 eggs or 2 tbsp chia or flaxseeds powder soaked in 6 tbsp warm water till it becomes lumpy
- 2 mashed banana
- 1 tbsp butter or oil or nut butter
- 1.5 cup wholewheat flour or almond flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 small apple cut in small chunks
- Honey (optional)
- Chocochips (optional)
- Preheat oven at 175 celcius for 5 min.
- Mix eggs/ chia or flax paste, banana, and oil/nut butter/butter in a bowl.
- Add flour, baking soda, apple chunks, salt to the bowl and Mix well. Feel free to add chocolate chips to the mixture
- Taste the mixture for sweetness or else add honey
- Divide batter to muffin pan or moulds.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick/ knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack and eat!
- Feel free to add chocolate chips to the mixture
- Add melted dark chocolate on top (optional)
Read more about minerals and vitamins, traditional foods, digestion friendly food and brain snack for kids below: