Moong Daal (Mung Bean) is an outstanding prebiotic. It has been used in Ayurveda for over 1000 years to make medicine for digestion.
Other than being a food for the bacterias in the Gut, it is the most powerful antioxidant amongst all lentils, and is also loaded with many micro-nutrients. Mung bean is also extremely high in Protein, which digests slowly and keeps the kids energetic and Fit.
Due to these powerful results, billion dollar companies in the west are moving to Moong Daal (Mung bean) to prepare plant-based non-veg. protein which is more nutritious than original. (What are other easy protein sources for kids?)
Soaked Mung bean can be cooked for a longer while with extra water into a soup or blended into a paste of Dal for small kids. Its so rich in good bacterias and fibre that it helps in easy digestion and manages gas, colic, bloating in kids.
Without removing the cover of the mung bean, it can be prepared as Khichdi (porridge), Wrap, Cheela (pancake), Dosa or a paste to add in bread dough for all age-groups. (How to feed nutrition to toddlers?)
Recipe for Spinach Lentil wrap:
- 1cup whole mung bean (soak overnight) and blend/purée with spinach leaves (boiled or not) and enough water to make pancake like (not too runny) batter (Does soaking lentils or beans benefit health?)
- Add salt, pepper and carrom seeds (optional)
- Spread on hot non-stick pan (add drops of oil to cook). Covering the wrap helps to cook faster and better.
- Flip to cooks on other side.
- Take off the pan and serve with sauce or dressing (recipes of some super healthy homemade spreads)
- Stuff and roll with cheese, lettuce or salad leaves, grated carrot, mashed avocado, sliced tomato, cabbage and/ or other veggies or
- Just serve plain.
Recipe for Mung Bean Soup
- 1 cup mung beans of any variety (wash and soak in double water for 8 hours or overnight)
- 4 cups water for cooking
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon ghee (optional)
- Salt as per taste (no salt for babies under 12 months)
Add soaked mung bean to 4 cups water along with turmeric, cumin and put to boil in a pressure cooker or covered container. Once it whistles twice or is completely cooked and cooled, take it in a mixer to grind it to a paste. Add some ghee on top. Serve warm.